A phrase is a group of a word does not have its own subject and predicate. Such a group of words performs some sense but not complete sense. it is a part of the sentence and helps in making the sentence.
kinds of Phrases
- Adjective Phrases
- Adverb Phrases
- Noun Phrases
- Prepositional Phrases
- Phrases in Apposition
- Absolute Phrases
When a word qualifies a noun or pronoun, it is called an adjective. When a group of words without having a subject and predicate does the work of an adjective, it is called an adjective.
- He is a man of great nobility.
- A boy with long hair came here.
- Life is not a bed of roses.
These sentences are called an adjective phrase. if they are written in this form then it is called Adjectives.
- He is a noble fellow.
- A long-haired boy came here.
- Life is not rosy.
When a word qualifies an adjective, verb or another adverb, it is called an adverb. When this job is done by a group of words without having its subject and predicate, it is called the adverb phrase.
- Ali ran with great speed.
- He is busy at this moment.
- He answered me in a rude manner.
These sentences are called adverb phrase. if they are written in this form then it is called Adverb.
- Ali ran speedily.
- He is busy now.
- He answered me rudely.
A Noun phrase is a group of words that acts as a noun and working in a sentence as subject, object, or prepositional object. it is called a noun phrase.
- Playing Cricket keeps man active.
- we have enjoyed reading this book.
- Early to bed is a good habit.
A prepositional phrase consists of a preposition followed by a prepositional complement which is characteristically a noun phrase or a WH-clause or V-ing clause.
- Who is at the bottom of this conspiracy?
- He is at home in English?
- He played instead of working.
Phrases in Apposition
If we join two sentences with the help of ”Defining Clause” it is called phrase in apposition. This phrase generally occurs in the middle of the sentence and sometimes at the end also.
Quaid-e-Azam, the founder of Pakistan was born in Karachi.
Allama Iqbal is the poet of the east, was born in Sialkot.
Mr Hamzah is my friend. He is very hardworking.
Group of words of interdependence with the separate subject and without finite verb are called Absolute Phrase.
- The teacher entered the class. The students set to reading.
The teacher having entered the class, the students set to reading.
- It was a holiday. We went out for a picnic.
It being a holiday. we went out for a picnic. .
Read More: Figures of speech With examples