What are Figures of speech
A Word or Phrase used in a non-literal sense so that the speech/writing become more persuasive, vivid and relatable to the reader or the listener. These expressions called Figures Of Speech.
Types of Figures of Speech
A simile is a comparison where you say that one thing is like another thing. The simile is usually introduced by such words: like, as, such, as, just as
- In the battle, he fought bravely like a lion.
- Ali is like a brother to me.
- Her skin is as smooth as silk.
- His face like a book.
A word or phrase for one thing that is used in place of another thing in order to show or suggest that they are similar. In Metaphor ”like” and ”as” is not used
- He was a lion in the battle.
- The camel is the ship of the desert.
- My older son is the star of the family.
- Life is a tale told by an idiot.
This figure can be called a type of metaphor because, in Personification, we represent an abstract as a person and give it human traits.
- Opportunity knocks at the door once.
- The trees were dancing in the breeze.
- Ambition mars their useful toil.
Alliteration ہم آواز حرف
Alliteration is derived from Latin’s word. It means ”letters of alphabet”
It is a repetition of the same sound or syllable at the beginning of two or more words.
For Example: When you are deriving a car, you might across a signal: Don’t drink and drive… So, note the successive words start with the sound ”d” that’s Alliteration.
- If peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
- The Breeze blew, the foam flew, the furrow flowed free.
- A strong struggle made against the storm.
A situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected.
- Ali is all politeness (whereas Ali is uncivilized)
- Ali is all intelligence (Whereas he is very dull)
- I love my job (Whereas is not interested in his job)
Imagery منظر کشی
It is a language that produces an image in the mind of people by means of words. Imagery has five types given below
- Visual: Woods filled up with snow (This situation picture is created in our mind that is called visual)
- Auditory: The rusting of leaves
- Smell: Scent of apple
- Taste: Sweet and juicy orange.
- Touch: Smooth fur.
The apparent meaning is totally different than hidden meaning.